This brew method was designed by German Chemist, Peter J. Schlumbohm, in 1941. It was once considered to be “one of the best-designed products of modern times,” and is included in a collection at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. Chemex filters are 20-30% heavier than other filters so they retain more of the suspended oils during the brewing process and solids cannot pass through the filter. Brew characteristics: Medium body, clean cup and clarity of flavors.
Use 28 grams of ground coffee (medium/course) and 496 ml of water (56 ml for the bloom, and 440 ml for the brew) heated to boiling (212 degrees Fahrenheit).
If using the Kruve Coffee Sifter, we recommend using the 500 micron and 1000 micron sieves (the larger being on the top tier). Sift the grounds for 45 seconds. Use only the top two tiers of the sifter and discard the bottom. Remember, this will cause you to lose some weight in your grounds, so be sure to start out grinding extra. Your final weight you still want to be 28 grams.
- Fold a Chemex filter into a cone shape and place it into the brewer. Be sure that the triple thick side of the filter is covering the spout.
- Wet the filter inside of the brewer with hot water, then discard the excess water.
- Place the Chemex onto your digital scale.
- Add 28 grams of ground coffee.
- Tare the scale and start the timer on the scale.
- Pour 56 ml of boiling water onto the grounds to allow it to bloom (2 times the weight of the ground coffee used).
- Tare the scale again.
- At 45 seconds, begin pouring 200 ml more of the boiling water over the grounds. Be sure to use a slow, circular motion. The water level should never go above 1/4 inch from the top of the brewer.
- Allow to draw down.
- At 3 minutes, add the remaining 240 ml of water.
- Remove the filter and grounds and discard.
- Total brew time = 6 minutes.
For day to day cleaning of your Chemex, remove the wooden handle and wash with warm water and unscented dish soap.
- Brazil Sweet Yellow Bourbon Daterra Estate
(Rainforest Alliance)100% Specialty Grade Arabica
- Ethiopia Natural Yirgacheffe
Wenago Co-Op100% Specialty Grade Arabica
- Guatemala Royal Select Water Decaffeinated
(Fair Trade Organic)100% Specialty Grade Arabica
- Panama Boquete
Santa Clara Estate100% Specialty Grade Arabica
- Yemen Natural Sana’a
Mokha Matari Co-Op
[Limited Edition]100% Specialty Grade Arabica